Pages

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Advent Blog-a-long Day 3

Christmas Carols

Jot and I went off to our last Mother Goose session (a songs and rhymns session run by the City of Melbourne) this morning and as it was the last session before Christmas we got to sing Christmas songs and Carols.  As we were singing a light bulb went off in my brain and I realised I had todays blog-a-long topic.

I think the music is what I love most about Christmas.  I prefer the traditional Christmas (or Advent) Carols such as Silent Night, Once in Royal Davids City and of course O Little Town of Bethlehem but having said that the popular music of the mid 20th century also really ring my bells.  Who can go past Bing Crosbys' White Christmas or I saw Mummy kissing Santa Clause by Teresa Brewer without a smile.

Christmas carols always bring a smile to my heart as I remember past Christmases.  Back in England my family live in a very small village with a big church however the congregation is petite.  My sisters and I are blessed with decent voices and were all sopranos in school choirs so come the carol service it was our 'job' to sing the descounts.  Imagine if you will three nervous girls, some very bum notes (espeically as age changed our voices) and a lot of giggles.  It was all worth it though when we were complimented at the end of the service.  The one for O Come all ye Faithful was particularly challenging but the one we loved doing the most (so long as the carol came at the end of the service).  I hear the choir at church sing the descount and wonder who is singing it back in England.  I hope someone is keeping up the tradition.

Take care
JotsMum

No comments: