Pages

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Blogtoberfest – Day 8 (part 2) – Resources

Somewhere in the world it is still Day 8 of Blogtoberfest so here is the resources post. These are just a very few of the tonnes of links out there but they are the ones I keep coming back to again and again and that I think is the sign of a good resource. I will add to this post as I discover new resources so it should always be up to date.

Books (I buy most of my books from the Book Depository as it has free international shipping and the prices are really reasonable)

One of my favourite books at the moment is Stephanie Alexanders Kitchen Garden Companion and one of the reasons I love this book so completely is that it is Australian and therefore you do not have to do any calendar swapping in your head for it to make sense.  This book tells you how and when to plant and harvest the plants you would traditionally find in a Kitchen Garden.  Not only that but it gives recipes for all of them (some obviously have more than others).  

The Self Sufficiency Series - I only have two of these at the moment Household Cleaning and Soap Making both of which I have mentioned before but do have a number of others including Preserving & Cheese making on my wish list for the future.  They are very well written, simple to follow and have all sorts of bits of information that are in some case rather shocking.  The household cleaning book contains a section on the ingredients in commercial cleaners which is quite confronting when you realise how often some of these products are used around yourself or your children.

Another on my wish list at the moment is Grandma's Ways for Modern Days which I am hoping some kind soul (who is married to me) will purchase for me for Christmas

Websites and Blogs

Down to Earth Blog and Forum - Rhonda inspired a lot of my move to a simpler life and her blog is one I keep coming back to again and again and again - it has a great search function.
Towards Sustainability Blog - Julie is doing a photo a day challenge at the moment so select a label on the right hand side of the page to jump to a different area is you wish.

Education

Online Courses for Self Sufficiency or Permaculture  - This is a bookmark on my machine as I will get round to it eventually.

No comments: